Thursday, December 24, 2009

Girls just want to have fun

Last night I was crowned, toasted and given a chocolate cake facial by some of the most beautiful women in and out of town at a fabulous hen party that had mother-hen donning a santa hat and jiving to "hips dont lie". Friends I had made over the years living in far corners of the globe were in town to throw me a night filled with much laughter, dancing, drinking and nostalgia. Ria and Piu, the two sisters and the official hostesses greeted me at the door looking like elves. Ria is in Kolkata for a year, having flown down from London, to work with Save the Children in Kolkata. Piu is down from Spain, along with her friend Eva. I have known them since I was seven years old (Ria hadnt been born then!!!) and Piu is my original partner in crime in the tiny island of Brunei, terrorising the other Indian kids. We fondly remembered those days when she and I would spend hours at end at each others house devising plots to create some "trouble", in our jammies. Marilyn, my "American mom" - who is also here for the wedding surprised me with her jhatak matak moves and her tolerance for the excellent capirinhas that Piu had concocted for the evening. The evening soon saw us breaking out into maddening Govinda ishtyle dance moves - change a light bulb, tap that cigarette, shake that hip, fly that kite, tap the biri....cues for the choreographed dance around the table as a bunch of girls, dressed to kill , giggled and laughed and shimmied all over the floor. Simi , my buddy from school arrived almost straight from the airport in a dare bare ensemble and led the dancers with her wild (read raunchy) moves. Riya my friend since my college days in Kolkata did Bollywood proud with all sorts of gyrations and thrusts possible by the human body. Angie, another partner in crime from our 6 months of living and working togerther in Bombay got down and dirty on the dance floor too as we recalled of moments grooving at the Hawaiian Shack and being hauled up by the HR department for our "wild parties" in the company apartment! Snigdha another dear friend from my college days let her hair down too to shake a leg with the motley assortment of gal pals. The final entrant was mother -hen at twelve in the night , dressed in a hat and carrying a box of chocolates. She was immediately swept onto the dance floor as she and Marilyn gave the younger girls a complex with their moves. Th night came to an end with much cake smearing. The cake aptly said:" Goodbye Miss - Welcome Mrs. Sen" ...hehehe! What a night! (Hopefully being Mrs Sen doesnt change much of the "girls just want to have fun"- the theme song for the night). Wistful? Just a tad!

No comments:

Post a Comment